|Irwindale "Toyota" Speedway closing? What will happen for track events coming up for 2012 at this track? **UPDATE 2/14/2012**|
|Monday, 13 February 2012 19:39|
**UPDATE #3** Looks like WEBSITE has been shut-down and there is talks between various circles in regards who will take over the track - many sources have pointed towards Lucas Oil and another track located in Ohio that are interested. The ENTIRE 2012 TRACK/RACE season has also been cancelled at Irwindale Speedway as well. BUT events which were made prior to these happenings may still go on.
- The ENTIRE track is not dismantled and removed yet.
- Only the Pit Area Grand Stands have been moved.
- The Storage and Offices have been cleared by the previous staff this past weekend as moving trucks were spotted loading and moving items out of these spaces.
- Track Staff have received last checks.
- NO "OFFICIAL" statements have been made by the track itself BUT sources from HIN, Formula Drift, XDC, and various industry affiliates state that there events will venture into different venues if no answers are made regarding the Toyota Speedway facility status soon.
**UPDATE #2** Apprently "CLOSE" is going to be a loose term as STAFFING and MANAGEMENT will be changed. Or will it?
According to Wrecked Magazine - http://www.wreckedmagazine.com/blog/2012/02/12/irwindale-speedway-updates-along-with-statement-from-jim-liaw/
"1. Toyota had a 10 year deal with the track starting in 2007 with a escape clause after 5 years. The beginning of 2012 would mark 5 years with the track. Toyota used this escape clause to pack up and leave losing the title sponsorship of the track. So now Toyota Speedway (which nobody ever called it anyway) is officially Irwindale Speedway once again.
2. The people running the track were not the owners of the track. Apparently according to people who have worked with the track this was a common misrepresentation. They had a 50+ year lease with the track under some agreement that has seemingly fallen apart/not been honored. Apparently they worked on a deal with Lucas Oil to take over as title sponsors but several sources told me it probably fell apart when they didn’t own the track.
3. Another allegation given to me by an anonymous tip, note we have no evidence of this, but the management in place was involved in some accounting and other business misconducts which may have led the track owners to relinquish them or a breach of that lease contract took place.
4. From what we are told the track has bookings almost through 2012 with tons of special events, films, and other events going on. The track owners are poised to continue operation themselves or with another management group because a ton of money in events is on the table for this season. I have seen some written rumors that Lucas Oil or Spears Mfg. are looking to make a purchase of the track.
5. Formula Drift is the largest grossing attendance event at Irwindale Speedway by a long shot so if the track stays open we would have to imagine they would want the House of Drift to be filled in October with crazed drift fans and a national championship. "
AND a statement being released from Jim Liaw through Formula Drift stating - (Also Wrecked Magazine)
“There has been recent news regarding the status of Irwindale Speedway. This situation is still very fluid and there is nothing definitive on the future of the facility or Formula DRIFT’s event there. There are rumors ranging from full closure to “business as usual” with changes only to staff and their in-house NASCAR and drag racing events, again nothing is definitive. The current issue from what we understand is between the facility operators and the property owners. Formula DRIFT will be monitoring the situation at Irwindale and will provide updates via our website and social media channels. As we have proven in the past, no matter what happens, Formula DRIFT will be prepared.”
This is the 2nd update we've done today and will continue to update you through all this drama with Irwindale Speedway. Hopefully, it will just be a change of staff and management as it seems.
**UPDATE** Track IS set to close unless another organization or person steps in to takeover the facility. Events like "NIGHTSHIFT" / XDC will be posting up schedule/venue changes soon so please stay posted!
During this weekend there were rumors of the So-Cal popular and famed Irwindale "TOYOTA" Speedway will be closing its doors...forever. Rumors started as early on FRIDAY - Feb. 10, 2012 when several track employees where told that this would be their last paychecks. But that was not the big giveaway - later on during the weekend word spread of the track dismantling grandstands where most pit crew staff would sit during races to wait for cars to pull in during races. This set a wild fire amongst automotive enthusiasts and race fans everywhere as word spread quite quickly.
AdvancedJDMParts.com (AJDMParts.com) heard of the news just yesterday while at Import Fashion's Import Showcase from our friends at JDM Sport. According to the rumors from various sources it was evident something is happening at Irwindale Speedway and nobody "OFFICIALY" has made a statement in regards to the future of this amazing Track/Racing facility. Many sources have reported that repeated attempts at reaching executive officials of the Speedway have been unsuccessful. Sponsors have also been put up in the air as calls are not being returned.
MAJOR questions are still not answered regarding upcoming shows and events including "NIGHTSHIFT" by HIN (Hot Import Nights) and XDC (Xtreme Drift Circuit) where they plan to kick-off their inaugural DRIFT/SHOW event! Not to mention other local favorite shows like Sideway Sundays where Irwindale Speedway was the HOME of this great event for DRIFT enthusiasts at the grassroots level!
Facts remain that last year's numbers in attendance had dropped. Fewer major events where being held as well as the BIGGEST factor was the loss of Irwindale Speedway in NASCAR's 2012 schedule. Could these be the main factors?
World re-known as the "HOUSE OF DRIFT" and regarded as one of the premiere short tracks in the NATION. The speedway was also home to several DRIFT events including XDC and the largely popular Formula D, which last year drew in a SOLD OUT crowd to the Formula D finals! What will be the fate and outcome of all these rumors for Irwindale "Toyota" Speedway? Only time will tell and like all of you we'll be awaiting the answers.
It is such a tragic to lose another track to the economy downfall - hopefully something will happen and this monumental location will stay open for enthusiasts of now and the future to enjoy. We'll be crossing our fingers.
AdvancedJDMParts.com (AJDMParts.com) x JDM Sport x Firm400